How many of you remember what Boo’s room looked like when we moved in…here is a picture to refresh your memory.
While the room was perfect for Hunter and his love of hockey, Boo wanted something a bit more girly when the kids switched rooms
. I was more than happy to oblige her, as the kids have never had rooms to decorate before.
We started off stripping the wallpaper border, which I think was held up with super glue. It was very difficult to get off, it took two different nights to get it all off. Then sanding and washing the walls to make the surface perfect for painting.
Next up, primer. With the dark green, there was no way I wasn’t going to have to prime the heck out of these walls. That was one night, not counting the wall I missed…so really one and half (no clue how I missed a wall, well half a wall. Boo painted the lower and I forgot about the upper.).
Next came the fun part. We painted three of the walls a wonderful lavender color. Boo picked all the colors in this room, so it was really hers. She wanted bold colors, but also some soft ones. It was fun to see her mind work through each step. Boo even got in to help paint the lavender. She got more on her than the wall, but that’s alright.
After that, I couldn’t have her help me. I had to paint the remaining wall a silver/gray color so that I could mark out about 80 squares. Yes, 80 squares on her wall. I don’t know the exact number, I lost count at about 67 or so. lol
Boo wanted squares. I did some research and finally found a couple examples of the best way to lay it out so it didn’t seem to overpoweringly modern for a little girls room. It took me about 2 hours to tape out the first set of squares.
Oh…didn’t I tell you they were overlapping?
Big Sis came over to help with the first set of squares, mostly big ones, but after that I was solo. It was a lot of work, and there were days I just wanted it DONE, but then Boo would walk in, and I would see how excited she was, and I got right back to work.
As the days went on, with second coats being done, more taping and touch ups it became more clear that this was going to be a cool room. Boo would do a happy dance every time she walked in, I painted her bed, a shelf and her night stand. I kept adding different touches to make this room her own.
Monday night, it was done. The last coat was added, the last 5 squares were painted. The touch ups were done, and any errors were fixed and painted. All the tape was removed, and the floors scrubbed.
Last night, Boo moved back into her room. Thanks to Ma coming over, it was quick and painless. She loves it. She got home from school today and laid on her bed just looking around her room.
Oh…you want to see the wall?
Boo picked three colors that balanced nicely together. We did the lightest color on the three walls, and are using the other two as accents throughout her room as it comes more together. She also has an accent of silver, but that I will show you later. She picked the perfect pallet. Even the Menards Paint Guy was impressed, and told her how perfect the colors were together. The Colors are Dutch Boy
Lavender Luck, Royal Liqueur and Surfing U.S.A.
This project turned out even better then I could have ever hoped. It took over a week, but is so worth it. I am so lucky to have Big Sis and Ma around to help if I need, or just to answer the questions I may have about painting.
I do have to say that I am proud of myself. 90% of the painting was done by myself, something I didn’t think I could have done. It was great to get it done, and done in a way that Boo was involved all the time.
Now, I am going to go lay on Boo’s bed and just look at the wall.