Time for another installment of Safety First. This time around I am going to talk about Bees. The nasty little things.
Bees are a vital part of our ecological system, but man are they no fun when they invade home or picnic.
Bee stings can be easy to deal with, or if you are allergic, quite dangerous.
We have had only one problem in the past with Bee stings, and that was poor Boo. She got stung right by her eye, and ended up at the doctors office. No problems, just a lot of swelling. It went down in a couple days after we used Benadryl.
There are many different ways to treat a bee sting. Boo’s doctor had the following tips:
- Remove the stinger as soon as possible. The method used does not matter, as long as it is out. The stinger is what passes the venom.
- Cold Compress – research has shown that this works better than many home methods including Aspirin Paste, toothpaste and salt. The cold compress will also help with the swelling.
- Benadryl – the sting site may itch for up to one week. Prevent scratching as much as possible, as this can cause the venom to spread.
- Motrin – the sting site may also be painful for up to one week. Motrin can help with the pain and swelling.
If swelling and pain last long than one week, see your doctor.
If you or someone you are with is allergic to Bee’s and go into Anaphylactic Shock, dial 911. If a person knows they are severely allergic to Bees they may carry an Epipen. These have saved the life of a few of my loved ones, and are a wonderful thing to have.
Bees are wonderful creatures (and make great movies!!) that help make more flowers, but be careful around them.
Next week, Sun Safety!!