This week is a fabulous week. Peppermint Bark is one my favorites, and I thank my lucky stars that Andrea showed me how to make it last year. It is very simple, and so much fun. If you are having a rough day, it is the perfect time to smash some candy canes!
(now I am doing this from memory…)
1 bag while chocolate chips
1 bag regular chocolate chips
2 cups chopped up candy canes (about 1 box or so)
Foil and a cookie sheet
- Line a regular sized cookie sheet (with edges) with tin foil
- Chop/pound/mash your two cups of candy canes. Hammers work if you don’t have a kitchen mallet. Put it in a zip lock bag, cover with a towel and pound away. Don’t’ break to small though, since you want some chunks.
- Slowly melt the regular chocolate chips. The microwave works really well since you can do 30 seconds at a time, then down to 15 seconds.
- Spread the chocolate on the tin foil in a thin layer, but thick enough to cover the tin foil. Leave a small area around the edge to get the foil up.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the same way as above. Be extra careful with these since they can burn easily.
- Spread the white chocolate on top of the regular chocolate. Be careful not to mix as much as you can. Some will happen no matter what you do.
- Sprinkle the candy cane pieces on top of the white chocolate, covering the entire cookie sheet. You want to cover it all so that the peppermint flavor is even throughout.
- Cover with another pieces of tin foil, forming it to the pan.
- Press lightly on the foil to push the peppermint into the chocolate more. This may poke little holes in the foil, that is fine.
- Refrigerate for about an hour for the best firmness.
- Break apart by picking up a corner of the foil and snapping little pieces. You can also cut with a knife, but this makes each piece more unique.
- Store in an airtight container. I refrigerate mine. It helps keep the chocolate in the right spots.
My co-workers flipped for this stuff last year, and are already asking me when I am making it again. It is a favorite all around. Enjoy!